The definitions below are terms used by CSQ and within the industry, they are listed in alphabetical order.
Act means the Further Education and Training Act 2014 (Qld) as amended from time to time.
Active Recommencement Training Contract means that the Apprentices and Trainees who have previously been registered in Queensland with the Department of Education, Training and Employment (DET) under an active training contract which has resulted in the contract being cancelled. The apprentice or trainee is then recommenced as the same qualification, or superseding qualification they commenced.
Annual Training Plan means the Construction Skills Queensland Annual Training Plan 2015-2016.
Apprentice means an employee being trained in an Apprenticeship under a Training Contract registered by DET on DELTA and issued with a Registration Number.
Approved Hours means the nominal hours as specified within the Queensland Mapping Guides by the Department for each Unit of Competency.
AQF means the Australian Qualifications Framework as defined in the Commonwealth Act, section 3.
ASQA means the Commonwealth Australian Skills Quality Authority.
Assessment has the same meaning as in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015
Authority means any federal, state, local government, state or public authority, authorised to carry out a statutory obligation.
AVETMISS means Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard – the agreed national data standard for the collection, analysis and reporting of vocational education and training information in Australia.
AVETMISS Reports means the reports that are required to be submitted in accordance with the reporting requirements in clause 6.
Building and Construction Industry has the same meaning as the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Services Leave) Act 1991 (Qld) as amended from time to time, currently defined as:
(1) The building and construction industry is the industry of constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing any of the following –
(b) spa pools and swimming pools;
(c) roads, railways, airfields or other works for the passage of anything;
(d) breakwaters, docks, jetties, piers or wharves;
(e) works for solid waste disposal;
(f) works for subdividing or developing land;
(g) works for the improvement or alteration of a harbour, river or watercourse for navigation purposes;
(h) works for the storage or supply of water or for flood mitigation;
(i) works for the irrigation of land;
(j) works for the conveyance, treatment or disposal of sewage or of the effluent from any premises;
(k) works for extracting, refining, processing or treating materials or for producing or extracting products and by-products from materials;
(l) works for conveying products, by-products or materials;
(m) works for the drainage of land;
(n) works for the storage of liquids, other than water, or gases;
(o) works for the generation, supply or transmission of electric power;
(p) works for telecommunication or for the transmission of radio or television;
(q) bridges, viaducts, aqueducts or tunnels;
(r) chimney stacks, cooling towers, drilling rigs, gas holders or silos;
(s) pipe lines;
(t) navigational lights, beacons or markers;
(u) pile driving works;
(v) sporting or recreational facilities;
(w) earthworks, other than for farming;
(x) fences, other than fences on farms;
(y) structures, fixtures or other works not included in paragraphs (a) to (x), but not including earthworks for farming or fences on farms.
(2) The building and construction industry also includes land clearing and site preparation, other than for farming.
(3) The building and construction industry also includes the industry of, whether on or off site –
(a) constructing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, in accordance with working drawings; or
(b) deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, constructed in accordance with working drawings.
(4) The building and construction industry does not include the industry of performing maintenance or repairs of a minor nature to anything mentioned in subsection (1) or (3) for a person not substantially engaged in activity mentioned in subsection (1), (2) or (3)
Business Day means Monday to Friday excluding gazetted public holidays for the State of Queensland.
Commonwealth Act means the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Amendment Act 2011 (Cth). As amended from time to time.
Delivery Mode Identifier means the code that uniquely identifies the predominant mode of delivery for a Unit of Competency or module enrolment.
DELTA Direct Entry Level Training Administration is the Departments database for Apprentice’s and Trainee’s.
Department/DET means the Queensland Department of Education and Training.
- An employee is –
a. A person employed in a calling on wages or piecework rates; or
b. person whose usual occupation is that of an employee in a calling; or
c. A person employed in a calling, even though –
- The person is working under a contract for labour only, or substantially for labour only; or
- The person is a lessee of tools or other implements of production, or of a vehicle used to deliver goods; or
- The person owns, wholly or partly, a vehicle used to transport goods or passengers; or
- A person who is a member of a class of persons declared to be employees
- Each person, being 1 or 4 more persons who are, or claim to be, partners working in association in a calling or business; or
- For proceedings for payment or recovery of amounts – a former employee; or
- An outworker; or
- An Apprentice or Trainee
- An employer is-
a. A person employing, or who usually employs, 1 or more employees, for the person or someone else; or
b.For employees employed in a department of government – the chief executive of that department.
- The following persons are also employers –
- A person carrying on a calling in which employees are usually employed, even though for the time being employees are not employed in it;
- A person who is managing director, manager, secretary or member of the managing body (However called) of a corporation, partnership, firm or association of persons;
- If 4 or more persons are, or claim to be, partners working in association in a calling or business – the partnership firm constituted, or claimed to be constituted, by the persons;
- A group training organisations or labour hire agency that arranges for an employee (who is a party to a contract of service with the organisations or agency) to do work for someone else, even though the employee is working for the other person under an arrangement between the organisation or agency and the other person;
- For proceedings for an offence or for payment or recovery of amounts – a former employer;
- A person for whose calling or business an outworker works;
- A person declared to be an employer under section 275.
- In this section – labour hire agency mean entity that conducts a business that includes the supply of services of employees to others (Same meaning as in the Act).
Existing Worker means a current Employee in the Building and Construction Industry who has a one month or more employment relationship with their Employer. The working relationship can be built up through full-time, part-time or casual employment or engagement as a contract worker.
First Active Training Contract is the first time a school based, full or part-time Apprentice or Trainee is registered in an Apprenticeship or Traineeship with the Department of Education and Training (DET).
Green Skills forms part of CSQ’s Trade Start program and refers to the competency BSBSUS201A – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices..
Life Skills program forms part of CSQ’s Trade Start program and should be no less than 38 hours in duration and teach the following skills: Financial literacy, workplace fitness, nutrition, interpersonal skills, personal development, how to gain employment.
National Privacy Principles means the minimum privacy standards as prescribed under the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth).
Non Eligible Participant has the same meaning as the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Services Leave) Act 1991 (Qld) as amended from time to time. An individual is not an eligible worker if the individual performs work in the building and construction industry in a managerial, clerical, professional or ancillary capacity. Examples of occupations and industries which are not considered part of the building and construction industry:
- Wholesale or retail suppliers of construction materials or other related products, including but not limited to: timber, landscape materials, cement, tiles, electrical goods.
- Manufacturers or fabricators: repairing buckets, fabrication of steel railings, fabrication of house frames.
- Transport and delivery providers
- Service providers, including but not limited to: Window cleaners, Building cleaners, Rubbish removalists.
- Agricultural industry
- Registered Training Organisations
Participant means an individual who meets the CSQ eligibility criteria for a program.
Qualification means formal certification in the vocational education and training sector by a Registered Training Organisation (RTOs) and under the AQF that a person has achieved all the units of competencies or modules comprising learning outcomes stated for the qualification in:
- A nationally endorsed training package for which details of the qualification have been registered by the Commonwealth Minister administering the Commonwealth Act; or
- An accredited course that provides training for the qualification (Same meaning as in the ACT).
Queensland User Choice Pre-Qualified Suppliers are Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) who are approved to deliver publicly-funded training and assessment services to apprentices and trainees.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process for giving individuals credit for skills, knowledge and experience gained through working and learning in accordance with the VET Quality Framework.
RTO Registered Training Organisations is a training provider registered by ASQA (or, in some cases, a state regulator) to deliver VET services. RTOs are recognised as providers of quality-assured and nationally recognised training and qualifications.
SRTO Supervising Registered Training Organisation is a registered training organisations that:
(a)Delivers training to an apprentice or trainee under a training plan for the apprentice or trainee that requires the training to be delivered by a registered training organisations; and
(b)When satisfied the apprentice or trainee has completed the training required to be completed under the plan, issues the qualification or statement of attainment stated in the plan.
Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 has the meaning given to the ‘Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015’ prescribed in the VET Quality Framework.
Statement of Attainment Once the SRTO receives notice of cancellation from the Employer, the must issue the apprentice or trainee a statement of attainment stating the training the person completed under the training plan before it ended (same meaning as in the ACT).
Structured workplace learning (SWL) provides participants with real work experience on a construction site to increase their work-readiness through the development of employability skills.
Supplier means the RTO contracted to deliver the Services.
Trainee means an employee being trained in a Traineeship under a Training Contract registered by DET on DELTA and issued with a Registration Number.
Training means training required for a Participant to undertake the Program.
Training Contract means a national Apprenticeship/Traineeship Training Contract which forms a legally binding agreement between an employer and employee for the training of Apprentices and Trainees leading to a nationally recognised qualification.
Training Package mean an integrated set of nationally endorsed competency standards, assessment guidelines and AQF qualifications for a specific industry, industry sector or enterprise.
User Choice provides public funding for the delivery of accredited, entry level training to apprentices and trainees.
Unit of Competency means a specification of knowledge and skill and their application to a specified standard of performance (Same meaning as in the ACT).
VET Quality Framework means the VET Quality Framework which is defined in the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011(Cth) and means the following:
a. the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015;
b. the Fit and Proper Person Requirements;
c. the Financial Viability Risk Assessment Requirements;
d. the Data Provision Requirements, and;
e. the Australian Qualifications Framework.
A general construction induction card (formally known as the blue card), is issued to a person who successfully completes training and assessment in the unit of competency – CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry.